Everything For Cooks
The Cook’s Shop is a haven for cooks of all abilities and is regarded in the trade as one of the premier cook shops in the UK. They have always used the strapline Everything for Cooks which sums up the nature of the shop perfectly.
Owners Wayne and Lisa say:-
“We pride ourselves on only selling the highest quality cookware and the shop is a paradise for cooks, with many customers spending hours in the store.”
They stock just over 10,500 product lines and many of the original brands from 25 years ago are still going strong.
- Robert Welch
- Therias Sabatier
- Peugeot Mills
- La Cafetiere
Over the years we have added many other great brands such as Joseph Joseph, Greenpan, Wusthof, Emma Bridgewater, Portmeirion, Global Knives & Nespresso.
Three Core Values
First and foremost are their three core values:-
1. Exceptional Customer Service – The Cook’s Shop strives to exceed the expectations of our customers, knowing that repeat shoppers will be the long term benefit (Word of mouth has always been our best form of advertising.)
2. The Highest Quality Cookware – The Cook’s Shop aims to continue and further develop the specialist nature that was created by Anne & Ian Perry by selling the highest quality cookware available. (Many of the products stocked are still manufactured in the UK.)
3. Staff Support & Development – The Cook’s Shop people are the business. Staff training is essential in this trade, partly due to the technical nature of the products, but also due to the varying levels of expertise of customers. The motivated, knowledgeable and enthusiastic team is the main reason for the shop’s success success!
“As an independent store we know that we are the alternative to the cloning of our high streets and we do have two notable advantages over the big multiples:-
Firstly, a specialist independent will always be able to offer a standard of service in excess of that offered by a multiple retailer and second is our ability to respond quickly to the trends created by the media & our customers.”
A Growing Industry
The cookware industry is still growing despite the economic downturn, due largely to the fact that people are preparing their meals at home instead of dining out. In addition the market is greatly assisted by the media as programmes articles & books by the likes of Jamie Oliver, Delia Smith & Mary Berry are driving ever more discerning customers into the stores.
Although being the owner of an independent retail shop is certainly challenging in the current climate, it is also very rewarding & we all love to hear the comments of customers about the shop & its products.
The Cook’s Shop Story
The Cooks Shop Exeter opened 25 years ago & we are an independent specialist cookware retailer. It was first opened in 1988 by Mr & Mrs Ian & Anne Perry, building on the success of their Taunton shop which they had opened 5 years before. They opened the shops to address the growing demand from consumers for high quality cookware & gadgets, & they drew particular inspiration from legendary cookery author Elizabeth David.
Current owner Wayne worked for Anne and Ian at both of their stores for four years before finding a sales position with one of the shops suppliers. He then continued that sales career with two other suppliers to the Shop before coming back to take over the shop with his wife Lisa in 2010. Wayne and Lisa both grew up in Exeter and now live just a few miles outside the city in Silverton.
“The Shop has the widest range of customers imaginable with both sexes & all ages catered for. It could be an enthusiast having watched Masterchef or the great British Bake Off the night before; a college trainee needing kitting out for his studies or university students for halls of residence; Mums & Dads needing icing & cake decorations for a child’s party; right up through to celebrity chefs replacing items for a Michelin star restaurant. Never a dull moment!
We have had MPs, TV Actors, Film stars & famous sports people, in fact the next customer we see really could be anyone!”
- Address Unit 13 Harlequin Centre Paul Street EX4 3TT
- Phone 01392 258576
- Category Food Glorious Food
- Location Harlequins Centre
- Mon9.30- 5.00pm
- Tues9.30- 5.00pm
- Wed9.30- 5.00pm
- Tues9.30- 5.00pm
- Fri9.30- 5.00pm
- Sat9.30- 5.00pm
- By Mattie Richardson
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org